At UBC, international students make up approximately a quarter of the graduate student body. We value this diversity and take steps to encourage and support international applications to our graduate programs.
International Applicant Process
All UBC Master of Data Science applicants must meet the same rigorous admission standards.
As an international applicant, you can apply online through the same admissions process as Canadian residents or Permanent Residents of Canada. However, there are a few additional requirements that you must meet and documents you must provide.
If you are an international applicant you must obtain a study permit in time for a September 2017 start. As there are no deferred admissions for the program, you should consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website on study permit processing times prior to applying for the program, to get information on whether you can obtain a study permit in time to commence study in September 2017. Please note that application fees are not refundable.
If you are an international applicant and your undergraduate degree is from a university where a language other than English was the official language of instruction, you must have taken and passed one of the following English language proficiency exams within the past 24 months:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum score is 100-ibt or equivalent
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 7.0 with no other component score less than 6.5
- TOEFL scores must be issued to UBC directly from the Educational Testing Centre.
- Please ensure that you include the following on your TOEFL sheet:
- use the University of British Columbia's institution code 0965
- give the reason for taking TOEFL "to enter a college or university as a graduate student"
- UBC accepts either an official paper score report sent directly to the university from the testing centre or an electronic submission.
- UBC requires an official score to be sent to us electronically from the test centre.
- On the IELTS application form you will be asked to specify institutions where you would like the results being sent to. To ensure UBC receives your results correctly, you have to use the following details on the application:
- Name of institution: The University of British Columbia
- Name of person/department: Graduate School Admissions
- Address: 170-6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
Additional Documentation Requirements
As an international student, you will need:
- A valid passport. Please make sure that your passport is valid for the entire length of your studies in Canada. If your passport expires while you're in Canada, all of your immigration documents, your health care coverage and your Social Insurance Number will expire at the same time.
- A study permit: You require a study permit for the duration of the year-long program. Student permits can take up to four months to process, so it’s essential to apply as soon as you accept your UBC offer.
- A temporary resident visa (TRV), depending on your country of origin. For example, you will require a TRV if you are a citizen of China or India. Please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada to see if you require a TRV.
- Documentation for your family if they are coming to Canada with you.
UBC’s International Student Guide is an excellent place to get started. It describes documentation requirements, health insurance, taxes, travelling and staying in Canada after you graduate. It also includes information on academic support, money and banking, health and safety, as well as information about resources available for your family, if they accompany you.