How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to the UBC Master of Data Science we suggest you review the admission requirements, application process and deadlines, and gather the required information and documents. Read more application tips.
- Gather information about your educational history.
Be prepared to provide names, locations and dates of study for all of the educational institutions you have attended.
- Select the UBC MDS program for which you want to apply.
You can apply for more than one of the UBC Master of Data Science programs, but you will be required to complete and submit a separate application for each program.
- Complete the online application.
When you click the "Apply Now" button below and select your program of interest, follow the instructions on the UBC Graduate Studies website to complete your application. Allow yourself 45 to 60 minutes to complete the online application. This is where you will enter your biographical and educational information and other required information, such as descriptions of how you meet the prerequisites and your resume. We encourage you to review the questions in advance and take time to prepare your responses. Once your application has been submitted, it cannot be changed. Unsubmitted applications will expire after 30 days of inactivity.
- Upload your admission documents.
You are required to upload the following documents to the online application system:
- Unofficial transcripts for all courses, including but not limited to exchange courses, zero-credit courses and courses completed at an international institution
- Unofficial degree certificates for any degrees that are not indicated on your transcripts
- One page letter of intent describing your data science experience and interest
- Resume or CV detailing your qualifications and experience
- English language (TOEFL or IELTS) test scores (international students only)
- Unofficial documents are sufficient for the purpose of adjudication. Official versions of each document will be requested at a later date for admission to UBC.
Note: If you are a UBC student or alumni, please indicate your student number in your online application and the MDS Program Office will download your official UBC transcript directly
- Ask your referees to submit their letters of recommendation.
You are required to provide three letters of recommendation (academic and/or professional). To be considered official, letters must be submitted by referees in one of two ways:
- Online (preferred): To take advantage of this option, you must provide a valid institutional email address (no Gmail, Hotmail or similar addresses) for each referee when you apply. Referees will receive a secure link prompting them to upload their letters of recommendation directly to the online application system.
- Mail: Referees must mail sealed letters to the MDS office, for the program you are applying, directly. More detailed instructions and mailing address can be found on the application form.
Note: Letters mailed by applicants and emailed letters sent are not acceptable and cannot be used to gain admission to UBC.
After you Apply
You should expect an admissions decision within 8-10 weeks of the application deadline. This may vary by program.
If you receive a conditional offer of admission and wish to accept, you must:
- submit a non-refundable $3,000 deposit ($1,000 for Computational Linguistics) to confirm your acceptance of the admission offer (this deposit will be credited to your first tuition payment);
- arrange to have your official transcripts sent directly to the appropriate UBC Master of Data Science office; and
- fulfil any other conditions described in your conditional offer of admission.
We will then send you an unconditional letter of acceptance.